Friday 16 June 2017

The Holiday Day

English is not my native tongue and sometimes words make me wonder.
For instance 'holiday'. Is it a holiday that lasts several days, weeks, months maybe....
Than there is Bank Holiday but is one day off, the day of your own choice, also a holiday or, if a holiday is a longer period, a holiday-day?

If so, than I had a holiday-day yesterday. Or more precise: a holi-half day. A 'holiafternoon'.
It started at 1 PM and my first stop was a petrol station (how 'holi' is this).
My second stop was the Veterinarian practice for the medication of my cat. I had a nice chat with the paraveterinarian nurse who enjoed the sunshine on a bench in the garden.
The third stop which I find very 'holi' was the village Suwald or Suawoude (in English on Wikipedia).
A small village where I used to live and even after 9 years, still feels at home. Every time I am there, people still know who I am and there is always time for a chat.

   Suwald is an old village with just 700 people. It should be world famous for it's very first bicycle and pedestrian solar ferry in the world. For a very small amount of money, it crosses the canal and you can start a walk or bicycle tour in the Friesian landscape.

Near the harbour is a small cafe where you can buy non alcoholic drinks, tea, coffee, (hot) coco's and ice creams. The cafe and ferry are run by volunteers. A wonderful group of people and not all are local but also from nearby villages.

   The sun was out and I could not resist going to the cafe to view the canals and fields, sitting in a chair, enjoying my ice cream and tea. School children and their teachers chatted away and I talked to the locals.
But also to a lovely couple way in their 80's who were still so young at heart and very fit although health wise they had their own fare share in life.
It felt so good to sit amongst all  these people of all ages; some with a life ahead of them, some living the best they can in the last part of their life. The voices, the wind, the birds, the whisper of the ferry when it landed to release and collect people..... to me it was heaven on earth. It felt wonderful and it felt like home.

   The best had still to come: a visit to my former and lovely neighbour Ann, age 94.
I do miss her and she misses me. Because she is getting deaf, phone calls are a bit difficult but being with her, spoilt with tea, cakes and chocolates, is a great joy. She is mentally very fit and has an excellent memory. We talk about everything and nothing, have fun and enjoy each others company.
I felt sorry when the time had come to say goodbye again. I arrived with hugs and left with hugs, promising to be back soon.

Instead of taking the motorway, I drove the country lanes with the car window open. I felt so rich, happy and free. But above all blessed with my good health and inherited genes which allow me to look beyond sadness and grief, to see and feel the sun, to enjoy talking to people, to visit a very dear friend and to smile and love.

Wishing you all a blessed weekend,

Helen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment