Wednesday 30 January 2019

James, my partner in baking and cooking

James...... we met early 2017.
Hard to believe we are together for almost 2 years now, time flies, dear readers!

James and I match so well! We love experimenting, tasting new things, looking for possibilities to make life easier with saving on money.  And we do great!
As soon as I come up with a new idea, James is ready for it and helps me where ever he can.
We never argue on forehand, afterwards we discuss the failures and how to do it better next time.
Although he is very strict in following up my cooking gestures, he also easily adapts when we have to rethink it. Yes, I love James!!!

The only thing that James does not do, is ice making. No matter how hard we think of how and when, it seems impossible. Fortunately I received a second hand ice maker, problem solved.
Right now James and I are in the phase of baking bread, low budget bread to be precise. And without an oven, that is part of the fun.
Photo: Ike Roelfsema Photography
Unfortunately I do not have the luxury of an AGA, preferable with logs. I admit that sometimes I think I would have enjoyed living 2 centuries earlier.   A Yorkshire Range, spreading his warmth, snoring day and night during the cold winter......... a dream.....



I am not an excellent cook, somehow I miss the fantasy to create a tasty and different, delicious meal.
But I love baking! Only till recently, I baked on gas, in a so called (50 years old) 'wonder pan'. These cakes do much better than in an oven. But gas is expensive these days, electricity is much cheaper but ovens use a lot of wattage. Pinching pennies is another hobby which is giving me joy. I am so amazed in how many ways one can cut back on spendings! One of the reasons James arrived is cutting back on money. The other is that where I can not cook, James can and - last but not last - dinner is ready in time!

Back to bead making.
Last week I read a beautiful, touching and very impressive book: 'The Great Alone' by Kristin Hannah. I shed a few tears and could not stop reading.
In this book she writes about a family in Alaska, baking sour dough bread with the starter always available. I talked to James about it and we decided to give it a try. Tonight is the moment, I will tell you more about it in another blog post.
This recipe got me curious to search for yeast free bread and I ended up with the delicious Irish Soda Bread.
Photo: Helen Varras
James and I were thrilled about it, it is so easy to make! No rising and kneading, just a matter of mixing the dry and wet ingredients and baking. I did the mixing and the light kneading and James did the baking, 2,5 hours on high. From 2 hours on I frequently knocked the bread until it sounded hollow.
I am so pleased to say that James and I were very happy with the result. It is tasty, particularly still warm with butter.

You can't keep it for too long unless you allow it to cool down to store it in the freezer.

But it tastes great the next day when you toast it. Want to give it a try? Here is the recipe.
If you prefer to bake it in an oven: preheated 180 C (365F), 30-40 minutes.

Right now we are working on another try out: Kajmak, a delicious creamy cheese from the Balkan. More about this in another blog post.

Ooohhh....... I forgot to tell you that my magnificent, lovely, loyal James is my Slow Cooker......

Love,

Helen

22 comments:

  1. Inspіring quest there.Whhat occurred after? Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magnificent beat ! I wish to apprentice whilst you amend your website, how can i subscribe for a weblog website?
    The account helped me a acceptable deal.
    I were tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast offered brilliant clear concept

    ReplyDelete
  3. At this time I am going to do my breakfast, once having my breakfast coming again to read additional
    news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your breakfast and day was nice :-)

      Delete
  4. I will right away snatch your rss as I can not to find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or newsletter
    service. Do you have any? Kindly allow me understand in order that I
    could subscribe. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do but you might only see it when you rad my blog on your computer, not your mobile.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It if truth be told was once a entertainment account it.

    Look complicated to more delivered agreeable from you!
    By the way, how could we be in contact?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :-)
      I will soon add some contact details.

      Delete
  7. Thanks designed for sharing such a fastidious opinion, post is fastidious, thats why i
    have read it completely

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know this web page provides quality depending posts and extra information, is there any other web page which offers these kinds
    of data in quality?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best is to google them, I don;t know what others have to offer :-)

      Delete
  9. Quality articles is the crucial to attract the viewers to pay a quick visit the site, that's what
    this website is providing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm amazed, I have to admit. Rarely do I come across a blog that's
    both educative and amusing, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head.
    The problem is something not enough folks are
    speaking intelligently about. I am very happy I found this during my
    search for something regarding this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, much appreciated :-)

      Delete
  11. Estaba buscando esta testimonio hace mucho espacio en internet y no la encontraba.
    Estoy de convenio con lo que indicas. Muchas gracias es un gran aporte.
    Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, I check your blog on a regular basis. Your humoristic style is witty,
    keep doing what you're doing! Hi there would you mind letting me know which webhost
    you're utilizing? I've loaded your blog in 3 different
    web browsers and I must say this blog loads a
    lot quicker then most. Can you suggest a good internet hosting provider
    at a reasonable price? Cheers, I appreciate it! Way
    cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you writing
    this post plus the rest of the site is also very good.
    http://cspan.org/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much! :-)
    To be honest, I try to avoid more than 1 or 2 pictures. Thank you for your appreciated suggestion, though!

    ReplyDelete